Sunday, March 4, 2012

Southern vineyards open weekend

One weekend in March each year, vineyards in southern Tasmania open their doors to the public for cellar door tastings and sales. A lot of smaller winemakers are open so it's a good chance to try something new and also see some interesting locations off the main road. The event is promoted by Hobart's daily newspaper The Mercury, and unfortunately, the only way to find out the details of which vineyards are open and where they are is to get hold of the guide inserted in the Sunday Tasmanian on the correct weekend. I missed getting a copy last weekend - as I did last year - due to being in Queensland for work. Apparently the tourist information centre in Hobart also has copies, but that's no use to me down here in the Huon Valley. Anyway...

The other way to find out what's open is to drive past and see the signs. On the next hill south of us, there are two small wineries in the same road, Highland Brae and Wombat Springs. I have tried a nice 2008 pinot noir from Wombat Springs once before, bought at our local growers and makers market. I walked past on my afternoon hike yesterday. How's this for a rustic cellar door?

2 comments:

  1. I can probably get you a copy from the library, as we keep the newspapers - If I can't get the whole book, I can photocopy the applicable pages for you no worries :)
    You may know this already but I find it interesting that roses are planted at the end of the rows of grapes for early mildew detection! but they loook nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know that's what the roses were for! They did look lovely. Well, you learn a new thing every day. Don't worry about the paper, but I must remember about the library, it's a resource I don't use enough.

    ReplyDelete