Monday, January 30, 2012

Market day

I visited three very different markets on the weekend, all terrific. I hadn't been to Salamanca Market for ages, so I drove in on Saturday morning. I bought some seeds, some gift tags and a book. Popped into Tricycle for coffee. 'Gourmet Farmer' Matthew Evans was busy entertaining throngs of visitors in his tiny store A Common Ground tucked in under the Salamanca Arts Centre. There was a cruise ship in port and with the hot sunny weather, the area was packed.

From there I drove out to the Museum of Old and New Art (MONA) for the new Saturday afternoon MoMa (MONA market). It was quite windy and some of the stallholders were having trouble holding on to their wares. The place was packed with lovely produce. The DJ was doing a great job playing cruisy summer afternoon tunes. The Convict City Rollers roller derby chicks were showing off some moves. People lounged about on giant pink cushions on the grass. I ate some samosas and bought some organic garlic, a small gift for my Mum (can't tell you what as she hasn't received it yet), some Bruny Island goat meat and a couple of bottles of Tasmanian cider.

 

Then on Sunday the monthly Huon Valley Growers and Makers Market in our little town of Franklin was on, and I must say it was particularly good this month because of the abundance of fresh fruit and vegetables available. I bought some locally grown organic blueberries that are absolutely delicious. The blueberries I've had in the last few weeks have been the best I've ever tasted. I also bought a loaf of rye bread, some lovely pale green zucchini with flowers from the local Landcare group's stall and a chocolate croissant before I ran out of cash. That was probably a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment