Sunday, February 26, 2017

The Royal Coastal Walk

Almost seven years on from our big move south, there are only a few things I still miss about Sydney. Our old Japanese style yoga class with Damien Lovelock at Manly Warringah Leagues Club. Our afternoon walks up to the dog park in Narraweena where the dogs played while owners chatted. And most of all, weekly trek training with Wild Women on Top. It's not that I don't go hiking here in Tassie, but on a walk last Sunday I remembered why Wild Women is different. It's all in the attitude. You get fitness, support, friendship and constant inspiration to set new hiking goals. Great tips from the coaches along the way. Everyone looks out for each other. And the walks are punctuated with special moments, like the treats that everyone brings to share, or swimming in a waterhole in your undies.

Last Sunday ten ladies plus coaches walked about 30km in Sydney's Royal National Park, along the Royal Coastal Walk from Otford at the southern end of the park to Bundeena, along stunning beaches and over spectacular headlands. Many people complete it in two days, camping along the way, but we did it in one.Thankfully the temperatures had dropped from the 40+ degrees of the previous weekend. Now that I'm used to walking in cooler climes, I'm not sure I'd cope on such a hot day.

I felt ashamed that most of the women I walked with had done more hiking in Tasmania than I have, and inspired to set new hiking goals. Amazingly, I could still walk just fine in heels at work the next day! Thank you coach Jo and team, it was a fabulous day out.

No comments:

Post a Comment