Sunday, May 10, 2020

The last post


Ten years ago today we arrived at our new home in Tasmania. We didn't know anyone. We'd been here once, on holiday. Keen for an adventure, tired of the stresses caused by too many people and hoping for a simpler, more comfortable life, we packed up our cars and drove down to our new home in the Huon Valley. We had a gut feeling that we would love it here.

It's a big call, but I'm calling it: I think it was the best decision we ever made. A lot of things go into that assessment, including our beautiful friends, the fresh air, friendly people, great food, wildlife and wilderness, plus the many opportunities we've had and things we've been able to do here that we never could have in Sydney. This is home now. It's entirely possible we might live somewhere else in the future, for work or for adventure, but this is where I would come back to.

It's also ten years since I started this blog. I started it as a way of letting family and friends know what we were up to, and a way for me to record some of the little details about our new life. The classic online journal, if you like. Since then, I've met many people who have told me they read my blog before they moved here and found it useful. That always comes as a bit of a (lovely) surprise. Each year, I have also printed a book from it, to send to a few 'offline' relatives and friends.

Ten years and more than 800 posts later, I've decided to call it a day. So what comes next? If you want to find out, for now, you can find me on Instagram:
@huonview 
@old_bank_franklin

No comments:

Post a Comment