Thursday, December 31, 2015

Two lonely gooseberries

At a friend's garage sale a year ago, I bought two small gooseberry bushes in pots. I had seen them growing at Hartzview Vineyard and thought they might go well at our place. Up close, they are very prickly indeed, with large spikes coming from the tiny branches. I planted them in a sunny corner behind the greenhouse and this year one of the bushes sprouted just two berries. Hmm, what to do with two gooseberries? To start with, add them to half a kilo purchased from a friends' stall at The Market @ Franklin. After researching a few recipes - crumble, tarts, cobbler - I decided to make gooseberry ice cream using this Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall recipe. Oh my god, it's delicious. Fluffy, creamy and refreshing. Such a beautiful summer treat. Now I can't wait for my gooseberry bushes to grow and bear more fruit.

 

1 comment:

  1. Anything by Hugh can be depended upon. I've seen him make gooseberry fool and that looked delish too.

    ReplyDelete