Monday, November 11, 2013

Poss off

In just one night, possums have largely destroyed a lovely young oak tree near our garage - branches snapped, leaves all gone, only a few stalks remain. We had noticed a few possum droppings on the nearby fence, so we knew they were about, but it's the first time they've had a go at that tree. Must have been the tasty young leaves... I really hope it regrows. We've removed the fence around it that wasn't keeping anything out anyway, and I'm trying this product called 'poss off' which apparently they won't like the smell or taste of. We'll see. Not sure what's in it other than garlic, which is the clear aroma it gives off.

Down in our little orchard, it appears they've also been eating the leaves off our young espaliered apple trees... but have left the two pears alone! Weird. At least I know my veggies are safe. People told us when we moved here about the devastation possums caused in their vegetable gardens and the lengths they had to go to to keep them out, so David cleverly built a fully enclosed yard for my apple crate raised beds to go in. And the rest of my edible plants are in the greenhouse or on the balcony... except the garlic, which I'm hoping they don't like.

1 comment:

  1. Try it on David first and see if he stays away.

    ReplyDelete