Friday, April 21, 2017

The new chicken run

While I was traipsing around in the southern forests on Easter Monday, David installed netting over our fenced orchard containing six young apple trees, two pears, a peach, two plums and two cherries. The new net is not designed to protect our young trees and their fruit, but chickens! I currently have eight young pullets around 13 weeks of age, six of my favourite Barnevelders and two very pretty (and large and strong) Huon Blues, a new breed under development by Paul Healy. They are such beautiful birds, I'm so happy to have them. It's part of replenishing my flock, which has dwindled due to random deaths and disappearances over the past couple of years. The orchard is the perfect place for them to forage, but there's no shelter. It's out in the open and basically a smorgasbord for hawks. Except now it isn't. Now, these beautiful young girls get to roam around a large fenced area, pecking grass and bugs, protected by white overhead netting. They are having a great time.

4 comments:

  1. That looks fantastic. Well done, I'm sure the girls appreciate the hard work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will pass that on to the bloke who did all the work, Louise!

      Delete
  2. Looks like they're enjoying the grass and space! I'd love to own chickens one day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are having a great time in there! Digging holes and pecking grass and 'fertilising' everywhere :-)

      Delete