Sunday, January 22, 2017

A long day in the sun: Cygnet Folk Festival 2017

I made very good use of my day pass to the Cygnet Folk Festival early this month. It was a scorching hot day, requiring lots of water and the odd ice cream. I started the day with a ukulele workshop with Tiffany Eckhardt - so much fun!


I caught a few numbers by the Nourish Women's Choir in St James Church then Johnny McIntyre and his band in the Scout Hall, then trekked up to the other end of town to see Bill Jackson and Pete Fidler followed by (the day's highlight for me) Jaron Freeman-Fox & The Opposite of Everything from Canada in the Willie Smiths Cider tent.


Then it was off to Loongana Park, where I sang with the Little Boat Choir of Franklin. To be honest, it wasn't our best gig. We found it hard to be heard with the mic setup and the crowd in the big park... but never mind. It was our first time at the festival and it was great fun. 


After a bite to eat, it was back up to St James College for The Lost Clog, a Lithuanian singing group which was both interesting and a hoot. On my way back to the car I stopped in at the Supper Room above the Cygnet Town Hall to see a 9pm gig by Tiffany Eckhardt and Dave Steel, and I'm so glad I did. They had terrific lineup of songs and it was a beautiful way to wrap up a day full of music and joy.

1 comment:

  1. What a great day out. I'm envious about the Ukulele workshop. Would have been good fun. I'm tempted to get one.

    ReplyDelete